It is never too late to have your bridal skincare in place for your big day. It is often recommended that you start your routine early, as much as 6 months, before your big day arrives. But if you haven't been able to do so, there are some ways to get your bridal glow in a week, to some extent at least. However, you have to take into consideration the time crunch and not compromise on any of the steps needed to take care of your skin from both the inside and out. We have a few effective tips that can help keep your skin behaving well and make it radiant in just a week's time…
Start with your diet and lifestyle
The week leading up to your wedding is crucial in terms of your diet and lifestyle. Here are some tips to plan and execute a glow-inducing plan for your bridal week.
1. A proper diet for the week will include a mix of red, yellow, purple and green fruits and vegetables. These staples are rich in antioxidants and minerals that protect your skin from free radical damage and maintain a lovely glow.
2. Increase the intake of fatty acids in your diet, these compounds are especially nourishing for your skin. You can do this in the form of fish, if you are non-vegetarian, or consume foods like soybeans and tofu if you are a vegetarian.
3. Completely cut off any kind of caffeine and alcohol in the final week; this goes for smoking as well. Alcohol and cigarettes can zap the moisture out of your skin and make it look dull and tired, so it is best to quit them not just one week, but a couple of weeks prior to the big day.
4. Increase your water intake to keep your body cool and skin hydrated while you are going through busy bridal rituals. Include refreshing beverages like coconut water and barley teas, without sugar, if you are getting bored of sipping on water all day long.
5. Squeeze in at least 30 minutes of exercise - light cardio or yoga - to freshen up your mind and keep stress at bay. Make sure to get at least 8 hours of sleep as well to avoid fatigue.
Simplify your Bridal Skincare
A week before your wedding is no time to experiment with new products or DIY treatments! Simplify your bridal skincare routine to just the essentials mentioned below -
Use a gentle cleanser formulated for your skin type twice a day, do not over wash your skin and strip it of essential moisture. Make sure to massage your face with the cleanser for at least 60 seconds to get the most benefits out of it.
Follow up your cleaning step with an alcohol-free and calming toner to balance the pH of your skin, tighten the pores and add a dose of hydration that was lost while washing your face.
Use a lightweight serum or essence that focuses on 'maintaining' your skin, rather than 'fixing' anything. This means, limit your use of chemical exfoliators and retinoids and instead, stick to hyaluronic acid, vitamin C and niacinamide serums to maintain the glow.
Use a nourishing moisturizer formulated for your skin type every time you feel even a slight lack of hydration in your skin.
Always finish your routine with a sunblock to avoid any issues like sunburns, tanning, skin darkening or irritation before your big day!
Have a daily body care routine in place
It's not just your face that needs proper TLC, your body care routine must be on point as well. Fortunately, you can venture into a little bit of fun while planning your body care routine, and here are some ways to ace it -
Indulge in an exfoliating session to get rid of dead skin cells from your skin and reveal fresh, glowing skin underneath. You can use homemade sugar scrubs or over-the-counter body polishes for this purpose.
Always slather on an SPF-infused body lotion after your shower to keep your skin protected from UV exposure and maintain a hydrated glow.
Follow good pre-, during and post-shaving procedures to keep issues like razor bumps, ingrown hair and irritation at bay.
Pay special attention to your hand and feet care as they often do not get proper attention.
Opt for gentle soaps and body washes for your bathing needs. Regular soaps can be too harsh on your skin and make it dry. Look for body products that are formulated without detergents and are oil or cream-based in nature.
Upgrade your face masking routine
In addition to your basic daytime and nighttime routine, you can hack your way to incredibly glowing skin using face masks. We recommend using a variety of face masks complementary to one another in order to enhance their benefits. For instance, if your skin is feeling oily and dull, indulge in a 10-minute clay masking session followed by a hydrating sheet mask to counter any dryness. Similarly, you can apply a soothing oatmeal mask at the end of a stressful day in order to calm any inflammation and relax your skin before bed. Given that there are so many varieties of facial masks out there, all you need to do is listen to what your skin needs on a given day and provide it with the necessary care. Just make sure to not overdo it and stick to maybe 2-3 gentle face masks for the week.
Stock up on face tools
Even though you cannot, and should not, experiment with a whole bunch of products in the final week before your wedding, you can replace them with face tools to upgrade your skincare routine. Jade rollers, vibrating T-wands, Gua Sha slabs, ice balls and even your hands can be used to give your skin a relaxing massage. Massaging your skin helps boost blood circulation, bringing fresh oxygen to your skin and rejuvenating it from within. Some facial tools are also good for lymphatic drainage and can be used to instantly depuff your morning skin to make it look ready for the day. They also facilitate faster and better absorption of the skincare products you are going to use, thus elevating even the most basic skincare routine!
Happy Wedding Day!